Tchaikovsky 4th Round-up

Okay, well, based on the overwhelming response to the Reader's Poll earlier this week, I guess there aren't too many fans of the Tchaikovsky 4th Symphony.  Not to worry.  In case you've never heard this work before and are interested in exploring a few of the more notable vinyl recordings to have been made, here are some suggestions: 


Columbia SAX 2357 (Herbert von Karajan, Berlin Philharmonic), UK ED1 pressing, Stampers: YRX 1517-5/1518-9. A somewhat pricey choice (price range $28-355) but a decent performance with warm and slightly dark tubey sound, mid-hall presentation with nice hall acoustic (recorded in Grunewaldkirche, Berlin) and soundstage depth.  Dynamics can get pretty powerful on this one, but anticipate some loss of clarity, particularly in the strings and brass, when things build up energy.  Not that this performance gets that wild.  It's got drama but falls short of the more hair-raising Mravinsky recording.  Comparisons can be made between this earlier recording on Columbia and Karajan's later remake for Deutsche Grammophon, but since I don't own the DG on vinyl, I'll have to defer to someone else to comment.


Philips Hi-Fi Stereo 835 024 AY (Igor Markevitch, London Symphony), Dutch plum label pressing with "Hi-Fi Stereo" logo. A beautiful performance by Markevitch and the LSO with decent but not quite top notch sound overall. I could appreciate a nice and wide soundstage and good instrument separation (great clarity in the winds). Listening through very revealing headphones, I picked up a number of occasions in the second movement when the sound of the strings (particularly in the left-seated violins) was rather grainy, sacrificing clarity. That being said, the string pizzicato in the third movement was palpable and well delivered and was the perfect setting to pick up the hall acoustic.  The fourth movement was high octane but consistently marred by distortion at high volumes.  I need to get a copy of one of the later Philips reissues to see if any of these issues were resolved.  I suspect those have superior sound, which this reference recording deserves.


Deutsche Grammophon SLPM 138 657 (Igor Markevitch, Leningrad Philharmonic Orchestra), ?second pressing with blue tulips label. I don't have to say much about the actual performance. This one is legendary and goes to the top of my list with respect to performance and sheer passion of playing. If I had to pick one desert island recording of the Tchaikovsky 4th, this would be it. The final movement blows you away like no other recording. My VG+ copy unfortunately has a bit of low-level surface noise, but the music is still very dynamic. Yes, there is a bit of distortion at times, but the sound is mostly rich and full-bodied with clarity that still surpasses that of the Markevitch Philips Hi-Fi Stereo release. I was not expecting this of the LP and was pleasantly surprised. The first release of this album with the red stereo logo on the front has different cover art (green and blue front) and sells for a lot of money (mean $105 on popsike.com), but if you can find this one, I wouldn't pass it up. Curiosity lead me to compare this pressing to the 3 LP Italian pressed DG box set reissue (2721 085 with symphonies #5 and 6, I picked this up for $3.99). To my ears, this reissue cleaned up some of the distortion on the original but just sounded a little too clinical for me. I found myself actually preferring the warmer, more musical sound of the original, distortion and all.


Decca SXL 6157 (Lorin Maazel, Vienna Philharmonic), UK ED2, Stampers 3G/1W. The young Lorin Maazel recorded the entire Tchaikovsky cycle with the Vienna Philharmonic for Decca in the early-mid 1960s. Of the golden age era recordings of the work, this is one of the better sounding ones, combining quiet surfaces with strong dynamics, expansive soundstage, and clarity. The sound may just be a little on the bright side. Performance-wise, this one has spunk but I found it less musically involving compared to the Mravinsky and Markevitch recordings.


EMI ASD 3816 (Riccardo Muti, Philharmonia Orchestra), late color dog pressing, stampers Q2EA 6866-2/6867-1. Last, but certainly not least. Another reference recording, and hands down, the best sounding of all the recordings listed here. The sonics are natural and well balanced with really great dynamic range. Finally, a recording essentially free of distortion. Bass lovers will also rejoice as this one definitely has some serious bass depth. If you have any doubts, just listen to the beginning of the 4th movement. 




My vinyl verdict:

Best performance:
Mravinsky/Leningrad Philharmonic (DG)
Markevitch/LSO (Philips)

Best sound:
Muti/Philharmonia (EMI)
Maazel/VPO (Decca)


Audio setup: VPI Aries 1 turntable, JMW Memorial tonearm, Lyra Delos cartridge, Parasound JC3 phono stage, Musical Fidelity M6i integrated amplifier, Von Schweikert VR2 floorstanding speakers, Schiit Lyr hybrid headphone amplifier, Beyerdynamic T1 headphones.









Comments

  1. You've missed Karajan's HMV version (4-6 box-set - 4th reissued 1975 as ASD2814 - only have #6).
    I don't rate the Mravinsky 2LP set 2721 184 - the 6th sounds feeble compared to a 1982 Decca-mastered 'book club' issue (410 493). The 1979 2LP mono set is considered superior (though my original DGM of the Leningrad/Sanderling is even better).
    There's an early stereo you've also not mentioned - Barbirolli's interesting performance with the Halle (c.1957?) which got a good-sounding PYE 'Golden Guinea' stereo first issue in 1965 as GSGC 14028.
    Barbirolli was excellent in Tchaikovsky: ie the ASD 'Francesca da Rimini' (NPO)
    My Marketich 4 is in the big 1971 box with Dorati's suites - the matrices are 11/11 - so likley recut a few times since the original (never seen - possibly the market was saturated by earlier issues/older mono's).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Tin Ear! You're right .... there are plenty of alternatives that I have not covered (nor do I own). I was starting to get a little burnt out from the 4th after repeated listening, but your suggestions are well taken. Unfortunately, I don't have the later Karajan or the Barbirolli. I'd be interested to hear how your Markevitch from the boxed set sounds. I believe that the single symphonies were also reissued on the Festivo series and wonder about the sound of those, too.

      Delete
    2. Tin Ear, I so wish I had bought this "book-club" issue of the Mravinsky 6th one of the many times I came across it in fleamarkets, thrift shops etc. Maybe it is not too late. The Italian DG reissue of all 3 Symphonies sounds quite satisfactory though.

      aqlam, I might be able to contribute something on the sound of the Markevitch boxed set. I have it and may give it a spin if time allows.

      Delete
    3. Kostaszag, any contribution you could make would be very welcome!

      I didn't get a chance to review the Klemperer 4th on UK Columbia. I had purchased it on Ebay many years ago from a seller in Asia, but unfortunately, the LP arrived with a crack. The record is playable as if it had a scratch down the middle. I haven't found a replacement copy yet.

      Delete
    4. I noticed that (possibly?) just the defunct "Ganski" blog has a link to here: so (unless you, aqlam, object) have added this to my main (Music Parlour) masthead links.
      Might bring a few visitors (though I get almost no comments for dozens of posts..funny, that).
      On the subject of this Karajan SAX I'd refrained mentioning my new/original copy (pristine sleeve!) (USAF lot @ Auction c.2000: $2.35 tag: under 10pence each).
      Maybe the Marshall-Cavendish are DRM (46 of 52 issues: 50pence/the lot). Curzon/Vienna "Trout" is nice (got an early SXL for 99pence a few years back: A Cheap Hobby).
      Maybe aqlam will review Klemperer/Guilini SAX's (nestling by Solomon's Beet PC3): have those. 12/66 Guilini SXLP30067 (if original) contains SAX matrices (*17/9) *Firebird being very dynamic/boring Bizet.

      Delete
    5. Dear Tin Ear,

      Thank you! Yes, please feel free to add the a link to this blog on your main masthead links. That is very kind of you to do so! I have been meaning to download some of the digital files off your site to sample and will comment as soon as I have a chance to do some dedicated listening!

      Wow, a new original copy of the Karajan SAX for that price is quite the bargain! Reminds me of when I found the SAX of Oistrakh/Fournier playing the Brahms Double (blue/silver) for $3 from a US Ebay seller who just didn't know what treasure they had.

      Which Klemperer and Giulini SAXes were you referring to? I have recently listened to Seraphim reissues of the Giulini SAX recordings and have honestly been quite surprised at how good they sound for a bargain ($2-5 apiece). The Seraphim of that Giulini Firebird/Bizet had a much quieter surface than the SAX I once owned and was even more dynamic with no distortion. Full discloser - my copy of the SAX probably had more groove wear than I could see with my own eyes.

      Delete
    6. Typo above ... "full dislosure", not discloser.

      Delete
    7. Tin Ear, I have also been debating the utility of adding selected audio clips to the albums we review on this site. I think you yourself also advocated for this. Since you are quite the expert, could you share any tips (equipment, software, etc) on how you would recommend going about this?

      Delete
    8. Tin Ear, new comments were not allowed for your February post of the Szell Walton on WRC. I just picked up a copy from a US seller for $5. I couldn't believe how good it sounded. I have not heard any of the US releases (the Epic, for example), but I would be stunned if any of them came near how good this WRC reissue sounded.

      Delete
    9. I acquired a ,latterly Irate, Portugeezer!!
      The Klemperer Stravinsky & Guilini Ravel/Falla on your masthead (both v. nice: scanned my sleeves a few years back but debated if I should wet-clean "for no good-reason" (or feedback!). Guilini SAX Dvorak 9/Tchaik 6 nice: but were not collected Far-East (or not 2 decades back). Brahms Double - only have the 33CX which precedes SAX issuance. Anyway; trust you get some others commenting!
      (My Guilini Francesca/R&J S35980 is blue label Canadian (triangle 'AIM' deadwax) and sounds horrid)

      Delete
    10. Completely un-up-to-date re internal audioclips: wasn't Soundcloud once used..but maybe short- clips (ie 'fair-use') linked to a MediaFire, or similar server?

      Delete
    11. 2012/2013: possibly before I darkened your door - certainly don't recall those: the Tchaikovsky 6 is noticeably better than the c.1977 SXLP. Possibly the lurid-cover WRC retains the SAX matrices?

      Delete
    12. According to Discogs, the WRC (two different covers for UK and Australian WRC) had SAX matrices YAX 408/409 but stamper number is not known (the SAX had 408-6/409-7). I am waiting on a clean Magic Notes pressing of the SAX and can report back once I have heard it.

      FYI - I updated our site here with a new links page and provided a link to The Music Parlour.

      Delete
    13. Thanks. Have 3 original SAX (matrices -4/-7). 1 maybe could benefit from a slight clean - so could do a transfer; though now virtually full Mega a/c's..

      Delete
  2. Very interesting results as I do like early Karajan in general. SLS 833 would be a great way to get this along with 5 and 6. The sound ought to be better in many ways too. A copy just sold on ebay for $9 (but shipping was $25 from UK). I believe Muti is known for his early Tchaikovsky too and I have a couple of those and his performance must be interesting for the fourth. The London of Mehta and LAPO doing all the symphonies is on the Supreme Recordings Basic list. Super Analogues of Szell 4 and Martinon 6 are also on the Honorable Mention list. CS 6052 is the London Blue Back version of the Martinon with the VPO and is unreviewed in Moon's London Blue Back Guide (I've got my eyeball on a copy on ebay). Also on early STS Stereo Treasury which I have. The Decca SXL 2004 has sold for as much as $250 on ebay in the last months.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So, I have made some listening to Tchaikovsky Symphonies. The Markevitch box is great value for money, but I find the recording a bit veiled compared to the Mravinsky DG Italian box. Markevitch has however, a very different interpretative pop than Mravinsky, far more nervous and energetic, so he is definitely worth your time. Best recording quality I have in my collection is the Living Stereos with Monteux. The 4th Symphony I have as a Classic Records RI, and it sounds fine too. Have not heard the Dorati recordings for a long time, but will definitely do it soon.
    I have found the Mravinsky-Pathetique in the Decca mastered version and have ordered it, it should arrive soon in the mail and I am very curious how it sounds. The first print is far too expensive, it goes for 200 Euros or more on ebay, but reprints from the same matrix with different cover can be bought for more reasonable prices, so I may make a comparison some day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Kostaszag, thank you sharing your thoughts on the Tchaikovsky box sets! I feel like I should start a whole new post on this just so that this discussion about something completely different from the title of its post can be more easily found. I did review the Dorati 4th some time back:

      https://milestomozart.blogspot.com/2015/07/mercury-sr-90279-dorati-and-lso-rock.html

      I used to have the other Dorati Mercury recordings of the Tchaikovsky but unfortunately no longer do. I vaguely recall, though, they they were all quite nice sounding.

      Let us know what you think of the Mravinsky Decca mastered version. I had the Mravinsky Italian box set some time ago (found it for $3 at a local shop) but somehow wasn't enamored by the sound at the time. I may need to reexamine that set. The one blue Tulips pressing I had of the 4th was sadly no good and could not do justice to the performance.

      Delete
    2. Please pardon my error. I somehow thought this comment thread was under the Von Matacic post, but it is in fact under the Tchaikovsky 4th post!

      Delete
    3. So's this one! Klemperer SAX 2458 Tchaik 6 has a very extended bass (sides 1-2/3-4 as opposed to Guilini 1/2-4). Mine single-sided tests: -5/-6 mastered 19+5 Sept 1962. Kletzki (SXLP20027 7/4) has little bass extension by comparison.).
      Not keen on Mravinsky but last year picked-up a new Red label 1964 Tchaik 5 (sold #4 years ago) and see it's mastered 8/61 + 4/61 - cost £2.99.

      Delete
    4. Tin Ear, good price on that red label Mravinsky Tchaikovsky 5. How would you describe the sound on that one?

      I recently picked up the Magic Notes pressing of the Klemperer SAX Tchaik 6. My initial listening impression was positive, but I need to give it a more careful listen. Klemperer's tempo in the Allegro 3rd movement is quite a bit slower than what I'm used to, but he does take advantage of that to emphasize clarity.

      Delete
  4. Klemperer's mvt.3 sounds rather similar to parts of Weill's DreiGroschenOper (same Oct/Nov'61 sessions)! Mravinsky is portentous with a similar bottom-heavy, opaque, balance as Rozhdestvensky's Gayaneh/Francesca (Dec'60 mastered). His Tchaik 5 mono (LPM1833: 1958/1960 mastered LPs) is superior, imo. Possibly the 'orchestra's sonority' - but too many DGG transfers are like that, for some reason.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts